Stay Away from Indoctrination and Dogma

"As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;" (Ephesians 4:14 NASB).

Sunday, July 21, 2013

What Would Jesus Do (WWJD)?



Greetings:

The abbreviation, WWJD, I use with my daughters to remind them to think before they act, and ask themselves, "What Would Jesus Do?" This simple action can save most of us from making fools of ourselves and can keep us from hurting others.

This morning I awoke and could feel the Holy Spirit tugging on my heart about a Blog that I wrote yesterday---regarding a recent misfortune of my ex-wife and her legal issues. 

In the Blog that I wrote on another site, I was quick to point out how the system, and my ex-wife's problems have negatively impacted our three daughters and my stepson since 2008.

I prayed to the Lord and said, "please God, show me if I am exposing my ex-wife and the system to make myself look good, or for the benefit of others that are struggling with the same issues?" Sometimes, I can be a little reprobate. I relate to the Apostle Peter, who was a brute and aggressive, and Paul, who was often boastful of his evangelizing and God-given talent to defend the Truth in the face of his adversaries.

After prayer and meditation this morning, once again, without fail, the Lord answered my prayer in my morning "Our Daily Bread" devotion. When I read, Proverbs 8:13 in the devotion, I needed to repent immediately and confess my sins here.


Proverbs 8:13 (NLT)
13 "All who fear the Lord will hate evil.
    Therefore, I hate pride and arrogance,
    corruption and perverse speech." 

The Lord always sets me right, because I seek to know and submit to His will, instead of my own knowledge and hellbent ways. Living the Christian life is not hard, if you always ask yourself, "What Would Jesus Do?" God will correct you when you are acting prideful and arrogant and living in denial---as long as you heed the direction of the Holy Spirit and do not try to justify and rationalize your behavior. Just because Peter was an apostle of Jesus, the Lord still rebuked Peter.

Matthew 16:23 (NLT)
23 Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.” 

On another occasion, after Peter messed up again, during Jesus' arrest, and Peter denied Jesus three times, the Lord later appeared to seven of His followers, after His resurrection and reinstalled Peter as an apostle. Jesus reinstalled Peter by asking him three (3) times, if he loved Him (John 21:1-19).

The fact is that you can serve the Lord without worrying whether or not you are worthy, because the Holy Spirit (Jesus' Spirit) will correct you when you slip up and need discipline and constructive criticism.

Proverbs 3:12 (NLT)
12 "For the Lord corrects those he loves,
    just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights."

Arrogance and Pride are the biggest obstacles to men and women of God, especially those who serve Him by ministering to others. We can easily become self-righteous at times. But do not give up, instead tell on yourself and let others pray for you to do the work of the Lord with better knowledge and wisdom.


1 John 1:9 (ESV)

9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

James 5:16 (NLT)

16 "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."


WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Jesus went to church and participated in the service...


Luke 4:14-15 (NLT)

14 "Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit’s power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region. 15 He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.


Jesus went to church on the Sabbath regularly and also read the Holy Scriptures...

Luke 4:16 (NLT)

16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures."


Jesus prayed to God His Father (Luke 5:16).

Jesus prayed for His disciples and all of humanity...


John 17:20-21 (NLT)

20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me."

Doing what Jesus would Do is NOT hard, if you follow His direction, example and the example of the Acts of the Apostles. But the only way to know What Would Jesus Do (WWJD), is to read and study the Holy Bible (2 Timothy 2:15; John 8:31-32). Then you can practice applying the Bible's principles to your life.

If you want to do what Jesus would do, you will go to church each week and worship God in the presence of others believers. You will also want to fellowship with other Christians for edification...Jesus ate and fellowshipped with His believers, and also ate with unbelievers to minster to the lost and confused!

Don't worry about making mistakes, God still loves you when you make mistakes. All you have to do is always seek to do what is right and the Holy Spirit will guide you.


Hebrews 12:11 (NLT)

11 "No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way."

Godspeed, love and Truth,

Brother Johnson, XU 


No comments: